My photo
-Bearded Creative Pioneer of the World of Tomorrow-

Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Glassman

Well, I guess this is becoming a bi-weekly thing, but then again, there's a lot going on. Most recently, I've rekindled my love of Philip Glass. I started listening to his 2007 album, Monsters of Grace. When I took advanced music composition last year I tried writing something like this, but failed miserably. I think there is such a fine line between what he does and pop writing...I guess I was too pop oriented. Anyways, that has definitely been my music of choice as of late. Curious to see if this affects any of my writing/projects. We'll see.

As per projects, I'm starting to feel some time crunch as I focus on my last semester of classes and work. Nevertheless, I've not so much changed, but adjusted some of my focus to Jingle writing. I recently wrote and recorded the Comanche Cucumber commercial and ended up writing an arguably hilarious and catchy jingle. Seeing as I'd written jingles/theme songs for all of my radio shows, I thought I'd keep it up, see what would happen. Yesterday I thought of two more jingles, one for a real product and another fake one. I've done some research and am looking to do a lot more. I've contacted the station manager of WSUW on campus to see if any specialty shows want jingle and things like that. I'm pretty pumped to keep this up.

Progress is also being made on the writing for the LEGO movie, had some more ideas for the opening and it's turning out pretty good. Found out how to get the movie into Logic so I can compose along while watching it for cues and the like. Logic is definitely different than any other DAW I've used, but I know need to familiarize myself with it. 

Still need to record a lot of voice work for a few projects, but I'll have time saturday to do it, so I should be able to meet my goal of getting the Delinquents with Combs sketch completely record, and all the commercials as well.

I've been feeling the pressure of finding a job, especially with may graduation looming. Sometimes I wish I was better at something that wasn't so selective and such a small market. Nevertheless, I'm going to keep on with what I'm doing. I've sent out some e-mails to various contacts and hope to gain more contacts from them at the very least. Tom Petty was right, the waiting is the hardest part.

Yet...still excited.




No comments:

Post a Comment