My photo
-Bearded Creative Pioneer of the World of Tomorrow-

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Need to uber BRRRRRRAIN STORM

Good news! The iPad letter got printed in the local newspaper, and I received a number of compliments from a lot of our friends here in "The Boo." I know it doesn't technically count as published, but it is a good stepping stone. Seeing my writing physically printed is really surreal and affirming. I really enjoyed writing it and I actually did some research for this one. Like I said though, at least I'm in there.

Having this second letter printed has really got me thinking. I have been trying to come up with ideas for my own column. The hardest part is that the paper already has a "humorist" with a semi-similar writing style to my own and he definitely doesn't suck. But there are some things that set me apart from him. He is in his mid 30's has kids and is established in the community. I am a recent college graduate in rough economic/job times, I am new to the community and see things in a different light, plus I have my music background to consider. That said, I came up with a music idea, not necessarily a column, but it could be something they would print: a weekly section that would basically be "music for your moods." For instance, if you need to relax this week, listen to Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings, made popular by the movie Platoon. etc etc. Just a little paragraph with a little background on either the piece or the composer/artist and then have a few moods in there, 2 or 3. Of course I'd use popular music as well. If you think this is worth pursuing let me know-it may be rubbish, but in this idea I have instant credibility because of my degree and it wouldn't matter that I'm not a published writer as much. It's my best thought so far.

A few more days till the MATC Gala and I'm getting really nervous. Like I've said previously, I don't want to get my hopes up, but this could really turn things around for me.

All for now.

2 comments:

  1. I'll be having my dad clip that out of the Baraboo News Republic for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the "Musical Moods" idea. I think it would work best if you had a small picture of yourself with a monocle in, looking somewhat forlorn. This idea has legs.

    Godspeed, Youngman Grand.

    ReplyDelete